Saturday, November 15, 2008

Baggage Inspection by TSA

When I returned from US last time I found that the lock on my checked-in suitcase was missing. It was clear that the suitcase was inspected at some point. But what surprised me was the following note from the Transportation Security Administration found inside the suitcase.


The note said that TSA was not liable for the damage to the locks and for packing tips I should visit their web site. When I browsed around the TSA web site I found the following page on locks: http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/assistant/locks.shtm . To quote a section:

TSA has worked with several companies to develop locks that can be opened by security officers using universal "master" keys so that the locks may not have to be cut. These locks are available at airports and travel stores nationwide. The packaging on the locks indicates whether they can be opened by TSA.
And the TSA had also provided for the "convenience" of the public without endorsement links to two products as well. The typical price range was $10 to $15: perhaps ideal for the frequent traveler. I for one am happy with the sub-$1 chinese lock available at the local stores.

No comments:

Post a Comment